Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Better googling with google experimental. Also? Promises

Now I may be a windows man (who wants to be a Linux man) but I feel no need to put any hate on Macs or OSX in particular. So, in the spirit of inclusiveness, togetherness, and more blog readers, I make a promise to provide articles useful to Mac, Linux, and Windows readers alike (and sometimes stuff that won't be helpful for the windows crowd at all). And I'm starting with this very article (am I done yet? that was a very long explanation).

I often find myself searching for time sensitive information on Google, and it's very frustrating when the top result for "add digg button to blogger" is from 2006. Obviously two years is not the longest time, but with some information you want the most current results possible.

Enter Google Experimental Search

Google experimental is a set of features that you can add to your Google search that can give you more information than just a normal search. Feel free to check them all out as there are some very cool features. The one I'm covering right now, however, is "Alternate views for search results". Joining this experiment allows you see your results through three different paradigms: Timeline, Map, and Additional Info. Each of these options categorizes your results either by time, location, or the information that comes with the result. This lets you get results from the year or date that you're looking for. Here's an example of what you can get:



Definitely be sure to check out the rest of the experimentals and leave a comment below as to which is your favorite.

1 comment:

advance technology tools said...

Yes, I am strongly agreed with you, please keep writing like this.